Monday, March 22, 2010

Limp This Way

So I did do my second day of C25K. It was even in a timely fashion, too. Nothing in particular stood out this time. There weren't many people there. I wasn't freaking out.

However...

I did start feeling some pain, though, in the lower front part of my calf...and just below my right knee in the front. So I figured it would be a good idea to experiment with my form. If it hurts to run a certain way, run another way, right? It seemed like a sound idea to me.

So I ran with pressure more on the outside of my foot, which stopped the pain. Then I would zone out, forget, and not realize I had changed my form until my leg started hurting again. So I switched styles back and forth. I did my time and headed for the locker room. Halfway down the hall I could already tell something was different. The first thing in my mind was shin splints. But having never experienced this joy of running, it was simply a guess. And as we all know what causes shin splints is doing too much too fast. How could I be doing too much? It's no more than usual. Maybe it was my new and improved striking style? I didn't want to jump to any conclusions just yet. It might be nothing.

I got home and looked up shin splints and it sounded fairly accurate. Medial shin splints was what it said. I was perplexed to say the least. How all of a sudden did I get this? Then I read that it supposedly gets worse overnight. So, expecting the worst for the morning I went to bed. Well, I could barely walk the next day. It was almost as if my knees had called the union and gone on bending strike. That's what it felt like. Later at work, I realized what fun squatting with shin splints was.

I skipped a day and it's mostly gone, but now I'm terrified to go run today.

I will but I'm not thrilled about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment